Anyone who’s ever owned a puppy knows that they are notorious for finding ways to get into trouble. Even if they love you with all their little hearts they still knock everything off the dinning room table, trail yarn around the furniture, and generally get into everything. This is normal, healthy behavior and it’s part of the reason raising a dog is so much work. What isn’t normal is swallowing sharp knives.
That’s exactly what 12-week-old Staffordshire bull terrier Macie did when her owner Irene Paisley (both of Glasgow, Scotland) turned her back. No one knows how the pup managed to snag and swallow the 8-inch knife but she likely grabbed it out of the dishwasher when no one was looking. The effects of this decision didn’t take long to manifest.
Soon Macie was choking , vomiting, and later sneezing up blood. Paisley panicked and rushed her to the People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals’ (PDSA) emergency out-of-hours veterinarian service. Once there, veterinarian Emily Ronald performed emergency life saving surgery to remove the knife.
She later commented on how strange Macie’s X-ray was and stated that if it hadn’t been for the fact that Macie swallowed the knife handle-side first she likely wouldn’t have survived.
The really crazy thing is, this isn’t even the first time this has happened..
I’m starting to wonder about this breed.